kidnapped khaki kemp kidgloves
kinky kaka kecked
K was a fun one
11th in A to Z challenge. There are 3 new words for me in here. Can you pick out which one they are?
Here are some definitions of the uncommon words. I am using the Merriam-Webster definitions and info tidbits for all of them.
kleptomaniac (klep-tə-ˈmā-nē-ə ) :
a persistent neurotic impulse to steal especially without economic motive. (First Known Use of kleptomania: 1830, in this meaning)
- khaki (ˈka-kē)
- 1a : a light yellowish-brown cloth made usually of cotton or wool
- 1b : a garment (such as a military uniform or a pair of pants) made of this cloth —usually plural
- 2 : a light yellowish-brown
- Definition of khaki (Entry 2 of 2)
- of the color khaki : having a light, yellowish-brown color —used especially of cloth
from merriam webster: “Did you know? In the mid-19th century, units of the British Indian Army applied the Hindi word khāki, “dust-colored, brown,” to the color of a uniform cloth. Dull brown uniforms were preferred because they did not show dirt, but the major reason that all colonial units of the British Army eventually adopted them was because they made excellent camouflage.”
- kemp (ˈkemp)
- a coarse fiber especially of wool that is usually short, wavy, and white, has little affinity for dye, and is used in mixed wools
(History and Etymology: Middle English kempe coarse hair, perhaps of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse kampr mustache; akin to Old English cenep mustache)
- kid gloves
- note: I ran the words in the phrase together in the haiku purposely for poetic license but the phrase is 2 separate words.)
- a dress glove made of kid leather
with kid gloves : with special consideration
kid-glove (note the hyphen when used as an adjective)
- marked by extreme care or deference
kinky (ˈkiŋ-kē )
(do I really have to tell you the definition? uh-huh. right)
1 : closely twisted or curled
2 : relating to, having, or appealing to unconventional tastes especially in sex also : sexually deviant
3 : outlandish, far-out
- kaka (ˈkä-kə )
- an olive-brown New Zealand parrot (Nestor meridionalis) with gray and red markings
- keck (ˈkek)
- intransitive verb
- to make the sounds of retching
this last one, dictionary.com & Oxford had a slightly different meanings
verb (used without object)
1. to retch; be nauseated.
2. to feel or show disgust or strong dislike.
feel as if one is about to vomit; retch
So were any of these words new for you too?
I am an affiliate for Creative Market and Amazon so may benefit if you click on a link and buy or join something. The prices remain the same. Amazon disclosure: “We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”